- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, roughy chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 450g mushrooms (any variety i.e. button or chestnut work well), washed and finely sliced
- Fresh or dried parsley
- Black pepper
- 75g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 120g oats
- Heat a frying pan over a low heat with the olive oil.
- Add the onion to the pan, and gently fry for around 10 minutes until the onions are soft and golden.
- Add the garlic and gently fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan, and cook for around 20 minutes, until most of the liquid from the mushrooms has cooked away
- When the mushrooms are soft and caramelised (they should look like they have reduced down), stir through the parsley and season with salt and black pepper to taste. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Add the grated cheese, oats and the mushroom mixture to the food processor.
- Blitz the mixture until it is sticky. You may need to add a tablespoon of water to the mixture, but there should be a little bit of liquid still in the mushrooms that helps everything to come together.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Place even balls of mixture onto the tray. I like to make 15 small meatballs, but you can make them as big as you like. If they are a lot bigger, you may need to adjust the cooking time.
- Bake in the oven at 180c for 15 minutes. If you have very large meatballs, cook for 20 minutes.
This recipe makes 15 small meatballs, which should serve 5 people.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving Size: 3 meatballs
- Calories: 202
Keywords: Recipe for veggie meatballs