This cookie recipe comes from the Ovenly bakery, and they are all of the things; chocolatey, decadent, chewy and salty-sweet. These cookies will delight vegans and non-vegans alike!
- 125g plain flour, sieved
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, sieved
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 70g dark chocolate chunks (I use chocolate with a minimum of 70% cocoa solids. If you are vegan or baking for people who are, be sure to check there is no dairy in your chocolate of choice.)
- 50g caster sugar
- 55g light brown sugar
- 60ml sunflower oil or vegetable oil (or other mild tasting oil)
- 40ml water
- A pinch of sea salt flakes
- Combine the flour, baking powder, fine salt and chocolate chunks in a small-medium sized bowl. Mix well.
- In a separate larger bowl, whisk together the caster sugar, light brown sugar, oil and water, until any clumps of sugar are broken up and the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Add the dry flour mix to the wet sugar mixture, and fold everything together until everything is well combined. Be careful not to over mix at this stage.
- Cover the bowl with cling film, and refrigerate for 12 – 24 hours. This step is so important in helping the cookies to retain their shape in the oven, and really enhancing the flavours of the cookies. Please don’t miss it out!
- After refrigerating for the specified time, line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper and preheat the oven to 180c.
- Use a small ice cream scoop to place small balls of dough onto the lined baking sheet. Leave two inches around each ball of dough because the cookies will spread. Sprinkle the dough balls with a few sea salt flakes for garnish and salty-sweet flavour.
- Bake in the oven for 9 minutes, until the cookies are turning golden brown at the edges. It doesn’t matter if the cookies look a little under baked because they will continue to cook as they cool.
- Let the cookies cool a little, and then transfer to a wire rack.
- These cookies are best enjoyed warm out of the oven but they will keep well for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
- Prep Time: 12.5 hours
- Cook Time: 9 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 145