Creamy, rich and luxurious, this tea is perfect for when you want to treat your family and friends.
- 1 cup of ice cold water (use room temperature water with around 4 ice cubes)
- 2 cups of room temperature water
- 2 cardamom pods lightly crushed
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoons of Kashmiri green tea leaves or regular green tea leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (not baking powder)
- 1 cup full fat milk
- Sugar to serve
- Prepare the ice cold water and set aside.
- Pour the room temperature water into a pan, along with the cardamom pods, cloves, cinnamon stick and green tea leaves.
- Bring to a boil, and then add the bicarbonate of soda.
- Briskly simmer everything for around 15 minutes, until the water has halved.
- With the heat turned down, add the ice cold water to the pan.
- With the heat still on, aerate the chai, using a ladle to scoop and pour back in the tea from a height. Do this for around 5 minutes until the bubbles look like a deep red colour. It will splash a little.
- Strain the chai to get the concentrated tea base, known as the kahwa, which will keep in the fridge for around a week. When you want to serve your chai, pour the kahwa into a pan, add in the milk and bring to a boil.
- Immediately turn off the heat, pour into cups and add a teaspoon of sugar per cup, if desired.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving Size: 6 teacups
- Calories: 40
Keywords: Kashmiri pink chai