This classic Victoria sponge is made without eggs, and is filled with light whipped cream and sweet strawberry jam, perfect for any celebration.
- 400g self raising flour – Sieved
- 2 level teaspoons baking powder – Sieved
- 250g caster sugar – Sieved to remove any clumps of sugar that can sometimes form
- 400ml whole milk – You can use a plant based milk to make the sponge vegan and dairy free
- 20ml apple cider vinegar – Using vinegar in egg free recipes is one way to help the cake rise, as it replaces the egg to react with the baking powder
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract – I like to use vanilla extract rather than essence as it has a more natural flavour
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup – The golden syrup helps to sweeten the cake whilst also giving it a lovely caramel flavour
- 150ml sunflower oil – Or any other other cooking oil with a mild flavour. You could use melted butter.
- 90g strawberry or raspberry jam – I love to use Bonne Maman strawberry jam. I think it tastes absolutely delicious, and is full of real fruit pieces which gives the filling a lovely texture
- 300ml double cream – whipped with an electric whisk until it is thick. Definitely use an electric whisk here. Hand whisking the cream may take you all day! Also, do not whisk the cream for too long because it can break and become clumpy. Stop whisking as the cream starts to get to a thick dropping consistency
- 25g white chocolate drops – To decorate the top of the cake
- Freeze dried strawberry pieces – To decorate the top of the cake.
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Grease and line two cake tins each with a 20cm diameter.
- Mix together the sieved flour, baking powder and caster sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the whole milk and beat until smooth. Add the vinegar, vanilla extract and golden syrup and mix well, it is normal for little bubbles to begin to form as the vinegar and baking powder react.
- Add the oil a little at a time and mix well after each addition.
- Pour the mixture equally between the two cake tins. Bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean and the cake is golden brown.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- When the cake is complete cool, we can start to fill and assemble. Start by placing one of the cakes, topside down, onto a cake stand so that you have the flat side facing up. Spread a thick layer of cream onto the sponge and spread to the edges. We will be doing two layers so don’t use all the cream at this stage.
- Spread a thick layer of jam onto the flat side of the other sponge. Carefully place the jam layered sponge on top of the cream layer.
- Spread a final layer of cream on top the top of the cake. You can be as neat or as rustic as you like here.
- Place the white chocolate chips and freeze dried strawberry pieces around the rim of the sponge to create a halo around the edge of the cake.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 458 per slice