An easy and quick recipe for delicious eggless scones that are soft, fluffy and moist. Perfect served with clotted cream and jam.
- 260g self-raising flour, sieved
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- 60g butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 130ml whole milk
- 1 level teaspoon vanilla extract
- Squeeze of lemon juice (around 1/2 teaspoon)
- Splash of milk, to glaze
- Clotted cream and jam, to serve
- Heat the oven to 180c, and line a baking tray with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Place the baking tray in the oven to heat up.
- Tip the self-raising flour into the bowl with a pinch of salt and the baking powder. Mix everything together until combined.
- Add the butter to the bowl, and rub everything together until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the caster sugar to the bowl. Make a well in the centre of the bowl and set aside.
- Pour the milk into a jug, and heat for around 30 seconds until warm. Add the lemon juice and vanilla extract to the jug. Set aside for a minute.
- Pour the milk mixture into the well in the bowl, and quickly start to combine everything together until you have a wet mixture.
- Tip the mixture out onto a floured surface. Fold over a couple of times until you have a soft dough. Do not knead or overwork the dough.
- Use the cutter to cut around 3 rounds. Repeat the process until you have around 6 scones. Remove the baking tray from the oven, and place the rounds onto the hot lined baking tray. Brush each round with milk.
- Bake for 11 minutes, until the scones have risen. They won’t turn golden because there is no egg in the recipe. Allow to cool on a rack. Serve whilst still warm with clotted cream and jam.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
To freeze, freeze on the day of baking. Bring back up to room temperature, and then heat in the oven at a low setting for 5 minutes, before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 11 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: British
- Serving Size: 1 scone
- Calories: 262
- Sugar: 4.8g
- Fat: 9.4g
- Carbohydrates: 39.7g
- Protein: 5.2g
- Cholesterol: 23.7g
Keywords: eggless scones