Fluffy and soft eggless lemon cupcakes, topped with indulgent buttercream. So quick and easy to make.
- 200g self raising flour – sieved
- 80g caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- 200ml whole milk – or a plant based alternative to make this cake vegan or dairy free
- 100ml sunflower oil – or any other mild tasting cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 unwaxed lemon – both the juice and zest.
- 150g icing sugar
- 50g butter
- 1 unwaxed lemon – zest and 2 tablespoons of the juice
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners, and preheat the oven to 180c. This recipe will make 10 cupcakes.
- Stir together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Add the milk, oil, golden syrup and vanilla extract to the bowl. Fold everything together.
- Add in the juice and zest of one lemon and combine. You might notice the mixture start to bubble, which is normal.
- Pour the mixture into a baking tin, and bake for 22 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave the cupcakes to cool on a wire rack.
- If you want to frost the cupcakes, make the buttercream by placing the butter and icing sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment. Gently beat together until they are combined.
- Add the lemon zest and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Beat for a couple more minutes. If the buttercream feels stiff, add 1 tablespoon of milk, and beat on high until the buttercream is fluffy. This should only take a couple of minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as the mixer beats everything together.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, pipe the frosting on top or spread on with a palette knife for a more rustic look.
These cupcakes will keep well in an airtight container for 2 -3 days.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 320