Moist, soft and sweet banana bread, which is also low in refined sugar. Perfect for when you are craving cake, but don’t want a complete sugar blowout.
- 3 ripe bananas – Ripe bananas are more sweet than regular bananas. You can tell when they are ripe if they have brown spots, feel soft to squeeze and are easy to peel
- 75ml sunflower oil – Or any other mild tasting oil. You could use melted butter if you don’t follow a vegan or dairy free diet
- 50g brown sugar – I like to use light brown sugar because it helps the cake to stay moist and also gives it a lovely colour. However you can use caster sugar if you don’t have brown sugar
- 225g self-raising flour – Sieved
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder – Sieved
- 1 level teaspoon cinnamon
- 75g broken chocolate chunks – This is optional. I tend to add a small handful of dark chocolate chunks, so that each slice has a few bites of melted chocolate. You can use whole blueberries to reduce the refined sugar in the recipe, or to make it dairy-free/vegan.
- Line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper. Preheat oven to 180c.
- Mash the peeled bananas with a fork, then mix well with the oil and brown sugar.
- Add the flour, baking powder and cinnamon, and combine well. Add the chocolate chunks or blueberries if using.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin, and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. After this time, check the cake and lightly cover with foil if the cake is browning. This will help prevent the top of the cake from burning, whilst still allowing the middle of the cake to cook.
- Bake for another 20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool a little before slicing, and enjoy whilst warm out of the oven.
This cake will keep well in an airtight container for 2 -3 days. You can also freeze individual slices for when you need a little treat!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 237 (or 192 without chocolate chunks)
Keywords: Baking, Banana bread, Egg free cake recipe, Egg free banana bread, Eggless banana bread